10 MBA Student Blogs to Follow
August 23, 2012
If you're looking to make business your business, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) is the degree for you. There are MBAs available for nearly every niche you can think up, from small business to non-profit to agriculture. With a degree this diverse, it can be challenging to predict whether or not a given program can really work for you.
MBAPrograms.org has compiled a list of the top MBA student blogs online, so you can get straight answers and real insight from actual students. Take a peak through the looking glass, and find out what MBA students think about this degree and the road to earning it.
- Baylor Business MBA Student Blogs. Baylor's Hankamer School of Business MBA bloggers feature four students: Ashley May, class of '13 focusing on health care administration, blogs about her adventures, from writing papers to intense workouts. Mark Tarro, class of '13 focusing on marketing, writes about the difficulty of landing an internship among other topics -- with spot-on pop-culture references and videos. Chao Yang, class of '12 focusing on general management, chronicles life as a successful international student at Baylor. Finally, Sara Young, class of '14 focusing in health care, takes readers through her beginnings at the Waco, TX school.
- London Business School student views. This blog from the London Business School mashes up the voices of more than 40 different MBA students with a handful of others enrolled in different business programs. Their goal is to provide a cross section of student life at the university, and with tales ranging from working on the Summer Ball Committee to attending the TEDxLondonBusinessSchool convention, they do a great job.
- Rady MBA Student Blogs. From green tips and general advice for students to school events (including a visit from the Dalai Lama and a beach clean-up day), this blog from current students of UCSD's Rady School of Management gives you some great info and insights. You'll also find links to alumni blogs, the Rady Entrepreneur Club, the school's book exchange and more.
- Ross Ambassador Blogs. These blogs from 11 different MBA students attending the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, cover internships, interviews, the finishing of degrees and the beginning of careers -- with a heavy dose of light-hearted fun and plenty of pictures. Several of these bloggers have just graduated, so look for for fresh faces on the blogger roll coming soon.
- Rotman MBA Blogs. Featuring 12 current MBA students from the Rotman School of Business at the University of Toronto, Canada (and archives dating back to 2002), this collection of blogs gives readers a great idea of what MBA students at a variety of life stages can expect. Student bloggers come from previous careers ranging from medical research scientist and chemical engineer to public relations and higher education.
- Texas MBAs Talk. These six bloggers from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin are all part of the class of 2013. Their diverse experiences are chronicled in these blogs with intermittent posts from guest bloggers. Posts are filled with pictures, videos, and stories of internships, the job hunt and travelling abroad. You can also find great posts about entering an MBA program, such as Erin Whalen's Ten Lessons for a First Year.
- The MBA Student Voice. This blog is written by the students of UCLA's Anderson School of Management, and it's an uncensored view of life on the inside (of an MBA program). Posts jump from advice on applying for -- and quitting -- jobs to photo essays of road trips and internship travel to pre-MBA reading lists. There's even a live-updated micro-blog streaming in from Twitter. In short, there's never a dull moment on this picture-filled blog from the city of angels.
- The Tulane MBA Blog. Students from the Freeman School of Business at Tulane University in New Orleans take you through the day-in, day-out life of earning an MBA. Posts are broken down into categories like entrepreneurship, finance, New Orleans, experience and questions -- and there's even a student blogging entirely in Spanish. The site itself is a joy to behold, with images, pictures, a great layout and easy navigation.
- Virginia Tech MBA News & Blog Entries. A combination of news for MBAs and student blog entries, Virginia Tech's MBA student blogs keep you informed and entertained. Posts include tips for first-year MBA students, advice on landing an internship through social media, alumni highlights, news for MBA students and much more.
- Voice of Goizueta. From the students at the Goizueta Business School at Emory University, the Voice of Goizueta offers you "an unbiased look into the life of a Goizueta MBA student" -- and a whole lot more. Recent posts include a series breaking down the school's beautiful architecture, great places to eat and refuel on coffee around campus, trip and internship reports, letters to recent graduates, and advice for first-year students.